|Ike Taiga (1723-1776)|
Landscape – Jinbixi zanteiko, Mountain pavilion at Jinbixi (The Golden Wall Brook)Signed: Kashô
Seals: Sangaku Dôja, Ike mumei in
Technique: colours on silk 96.4 x 35.8
Mounting: brown brocade
181 x 49.7
Condition: very good
Authorized in May 1840 by Taigadô III, Yamaoka Higashiyama Giryô (1800-1865)
(An almost identical painting was published as cat. nr. 57 in a Kyoto auction catalogue of 2 November, 1926)
Yamaoka Higashiyama Giryô (1800-1865) studied with San’yô (1780-1832). He was third generation head of the Taigadô, the son of son of Yamaoka Geppô (1760-1839) the second head after Aoki Shukuya.
Taiga has become the best-known and most influential Nanga painter of the 18th century. He was the son of a farmer and he worked at a fan-painting shop in Kyoto and engraved seals.
After an accidental meeting with Yanagisawa Kien (1704-1758) he became his student and learned the Chinese technique of finger-painting in 1738. He became friends with Kô Fuyô (1722-84) and Kan Tenju (1727-95), who also worked in Kien’s studio.
In 1746 he married Gyokuran (1727-84), the proprietor of a teahouse, who was a talented painter and poet in her own right. Taiga was a frequent traveller and in Edo he got into contact with Western imagery through Noro Genjô (1693-1761), a rangakusha, scholar of Western learning. This meeting also had an influence on Taiga’s work.
After Taiga died his studio Taigadô became a kind of pilgrimage resort for his followers.
Nihon no bijutsu kaiga kinshû Vol. 18