<- Back Home


click image to enlarge

74/2. Yamamoto Shunkyo (1871-1933) & Kiyomizu Rokubei V (1875-1959)
Kyôyaki
Kashibachi, cake bowl – Bara-zu, Rose
Signed: Shunkyo saku
Seals: Kiyo
Technique: Grey kyôyaki with a tetsu-e, iron oxide underglaze painting of leafs and a rose shaped in craqueled slip Ø 20 x 12
Box: signed by Rokubei
Condition: very good

Shunkyo was born in Shiga prefecture. He studied painting with Nomura Bunkyo (1854-1911), but after Bunkyo moved to Tokyo in 1885, Shunkyo became a pupil of Mori Kansai (1814-1894). Together with Tsuji Kakô (1870-1931) he worked at Takashimaya department store where they created designs for export textiles. He studied photography and yôga (western-style oil painting). After 1900 he became one of the most successful Nihonga artists in Kyoto and his juku (private school) was as popular as that of Takeuchi Seihô (1864-1942). After his return to Shiga, his house and studio near Lake Biwa were located next-door to the Zezeyaki kiln, which he helped revive.

Reference:
Kyôto 1982
Shiga 1985
Shiga 2000
Berry & Morioka ‘99 pp. 126-127
Conant pp. 330-331
Roberts p. 196

Rokubei V (Shôrei) (1875-1959) was the second son of Kiyomizu Rokubei IV.
Rokubei V studied Shijô painting with Kôno Bairei (1844-1895). Kikuchi Hôbun (1862-1918), Taniguchi Kôkyô (1864-1915), Takeuchi Seihô (1864-1942) and Tsuji Kakô (1870-1931) were his classmates. He also studied at the Kyoto Prefectural School of Painting, and studied ceramic techniques with his father after graduation. His career as a ceramic artist began when he won a prize at the Fourth Domestic Industrial Exposition in 1895. He studied glazing techniques at the Kyoto Municipal Ceramic Laboratory established in 1896 and organized the Promoting Society for Craft Workers (Shokkô Shôrei-kai) with designer Kikuchi Sokû at the Laboratory in 1899. He actively worked on the study and research of new glazing techniques and (Western) designs. When Rokubei IV retired, he inherited the title and became Rokubei V in 1913. He exhibited at the Nôten, the Design and Applied Artworks Exhibition sponsored by the Ministry of Agriculture and Commerce and the Teiten, the Imperial Art Academy Exhibition. He also became a member of the Imperial Art Academy and played an important role as a leading figure of the craft world. In 1945 he retired and took the artist’s name Rokuwa.

Reference:
Kyoto ‘03, ’Sekka’ p. 326 ff.

Price:
SOLD